Join us in our public Facebook Group, where we will discuss these issues.

Thursday, May 11, 2023

Unit 3 Blog 2: Athletes vs Themselves

 


https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.G4Mltnz78Kkah3gGRtM9vQHaE7?w=260&h=180&c=7&r=0&o=5&pid=1.7


Athletes vs. Themselves

Hello, you who are reading this right now! I’m Keiman, and I am back with another blog post, but this time I will be talking about athletes versus themselves. Now that may confuse you right now, but I promise in the end you will understand what I am saying.

The example that I will be using to explain and identify my topic today is NBA star Ja Morant, who is a point guard for the Memphis Grizzlies. He is an amazing basketball player, and more importantly an amazing human overall. He originates from South Carolina, where he grew up in the SUBURBS (no reason I capitalized this) and lived in a TWO PARENT HOUSEHOLD (sorry just thought I would emphasize this some more). Now that is out of the way, so let’s continue, shall we?

Now please do not let me lose you, because you are probably highly confused trying to figure out “what the heck is this guy babbling about” as if I were that one teacher you didn’t like back in grade school, but I promise it is all worth it. Now to get into why I’m using what seems like a well-behaved NBA player with everything going his way, it’s time you know the story. So, this was following a game that Ja Morant and his team had just played in Denver, which was a tough road game that they got blown out in (which is why the Lakers are better by the way). Now after most players just finished losing a game and take a loss, they are right back in the gym, or most of the time upset with how they played and how they played as a team, which makes them want to go even harder next game…right Ja Morant?

Well, I guess Ja Morant didn’t agree with me on that topic originally. I think I should have mentioned that this guy is a huge social media outlet, as he has gained over millions of followers dating back to his days in college basketball to now, and because of the image that he represents himself to be. What is this image, you may ask? Well as I said he is a good young kid that is still learning, but social media is probably going to be his only downfall that can stop him. After he returned to the team hotel, he left to go have fun at a nightclub and drink with some friends and the people of the club. He was very intoxicated and even went live to show his fans just how much fun he was having, which is great right?! Sadly, I would like to say that is not the case in this discussion.

While on Instagram live, he was seen waving a gun around on the camera while he was still on live, and whether it was a prop or not was never answered, but regardless many people seen this and shared the video around quickly to their social media, and this led to immediate consequences for the young star from the NBA. He was indefinitely suspended from the NBA until further notice and received a fat $500,000 fine for violating NBA rules of conduct, but eventually was able to return after missing 12 games in the regular season. He was blessed that he was found innocent of carrying a firearm on an NBA team plane, because it could have been significantly bad for him.

To conclude, I chose to talk athletes versus themselves, because as you can see one small mistake can cost you anything. Ja could have lost his entire career off one dumb mistake that he made at this young age of his, but he was blessed by the Grace of God that nothing severe happened to him. I hope all athletes, including myself, can stay out of trouble moving forward when it comes to social media involvement.

Citations:

“Ja Morant Gun Video, Explained: Everything We Know about Suspension from Ig Live Incident.” MSN, www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/ja-morant-gun-video-explained-everything-we-know-about-potential-suspension-from-ig-live-incident/ar-AA18prIF. Accessed 11 May 2023.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Paper, Part 2: Literature Review

hdstsytsdystsutsyt Literature Review Social platform reddit can tell us a lot about the impacts pandemic. For example, Hossu and Pardee ( 20...