Join us in our public Facebook Group, where we will discuss these issues.

Saturday, February 25, 2023

Don’t Jump On The Hate Train

Social media style guide: what it is and how to get started - 99designs
1,280 × 1,280


FYP


People hate social media. Like they really, really, REALLY hate it. You would probably say for good reasons. I would agree only to an extent. What you feel is what you feel, so that is not for me to say if your hate is warranted. However, I guarantee that a majority of people's hate towards social media is misplaced. We want to be mad at the content rather than the fact that we choose what we consume. So often, I hear people complain about their "for you page" (FYP), and my first thought is, do they realize it is FOR YOU? whatever you do not like that is on there, well, it is there because of you. It is called an algorithm. Hate for social media is so misplaced, and the fix is easy. Let us create healthier media habits and foster social media into what it really should be. Only then will people start to love it as intended. 


The Narrative 


Initially, I do see the hate for social media. Most people need to take breaks and detox because sometimes the internet can be a toxic place. Social champ lists that the reason most people take social media breaks is because of their ego, anxiety, addictiveness, depression, self-doubt, lack of social skills, and privacy. Looking at this list, you see some serious issues. However, are these issues inherently tied to Social Media or instead poor practices that people follow? While this stuff Social Champ listed is reality does not mean we need to live in it. If you are afraid of the "lack of privacy," be more conscious of what you post. If you have an unchecked ego that gets hurt when you do not get 50+ likes, go to therapy. If you are addicted to your screen, then set better boundaries. Recognize how these are problems that rely on you. The answer is within you, and only changing your habits will fix the problem. 


My Personal Narrative


The other day I was talking to another student, just trying to be social. I invited him to my BSU meetings, but I also told him to stay connected and up to date; he should follow our Instagram. Then my other friend proceeded to turn to him and tell him not to download social media and that it was a "waste of time". To me, that was an absurd comment. I manage two social media accounts: one personal and one for work. I also monitor the social media of a third page, but I do not do the posting myself. I see the beauty in social media because I consume so much of it, and I have for years. In my personal intake, I have consumed unsavory media from time to time. However, that was in no way the media's fault. Humans hate taking responsibility, so they instead like to blame intangible entities that exist but not in the same physical way we do. I absolutely loathe people who do this. It is single-handedly my biggest pet peeve. When T.V. and other forms of Social Media are placed into societies that previously did not have them, we see a considerable jump in eating disorders and self-image issues. Now, most people blame the media. However, why are we not blaming ourselves for first promoting unhealthy and unrealistic body standards? Secondly, why did we not teach these people how to consume media responsibly before we introduced it to them?


Come Back To The Real World 


Do not delete Social Media. That is so tacky. Put the phone down! Come on, man, just listen. I am almost done. "Social Media breaks" should not be an entire break from social media. Do you know what all warrants as Social Media? Because I know for a fact you are most likely not about to cut out TikTok or Youtube. If anything, "breaks" from social media should be the stopping of posts. Be a consumer. So often, I see people say they are going to take a "break," and my initial thought is, "you do not even create anything. What are you taking a break from?". To say you are taking a break implies you were working or using that specific form of Media. If you are a consumer and not a creator, then why do we refer to it as taking a break instead of just turning off Instagram to go watch cat videos? Let us take the "seriousness" put of social media.


Changing The Narrative


Put yourself first. Whatever you consume, whatever you do not want to consume, whatever weird stalker you are avoiding, you decide. Take back the narrative and stop thinking someone controls what you consume. Because while there quite literally is someone who does that, it is their job to make sure what you consume is based on what you like to consume. Say no to something cringing, press that "see less like this button," and go about your day. If you want to create content without unnecessary pressure, then set specific days for creating content and let yourself be a consumer on the other days. When you are a consumer, make sure what you are consuming is kind towards you and others, education, and overall something that brings you joy. Connect yourself to the world, not what Chris Pratt eats in a day (unless that is what makes YOU happy, of course). Go out there and make Social Media a better place for you first and others second. 


The Best Rooftop Bars In Cluj-Napoca
800 × 536


Just Live


The main takeaway I want is for you to take back your power and stop letting people tell you something is "bad" simply because they use it improperly. Anything in the wrong hands can be used for evil. Go out there and develop the necessary skills to properly use Social Media and one day teach others how to as well. I never pass up a chance to tell somehow how great Social Media is because I genuinely believe it to be great. It just takes finding the right crowd and a little bit of practice to foster those healthy habits. At the end of the day, if my advice or testimony does not work for you, then do what makes you happy but absolutely do not go out and ward others off from one of the greatest inventions of our time because of your experiences. Let people live and foster opinions on their own. 






Works cited


13, Laverne Gagliano September, et al. “Why Would One Say, ‘I Hate Social Media?".” Social Champ, 14 Sept. 2022, www.socialchamp.io/blog/i-hate-social-media/#.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Paper, Part 2: Literature Review

hdstsytsdystsutsyt Literature Review Social platform reddit can tell us a lot about the impacts pandemic. For example, Hossu and Pardee ( 20...