Join us in our public Facebook Group, where we will discuss these issues.

Sunday, February 23, 2020

The Gift Economy and Everyday Interactions





                                                  So, y’all know about the gift economy, right? (The wiki article can give you a decent idea, just in case you don’t.) I’d like to talk about it in sort of casual terms here. Like, how it happens casually whenever we’re just hanging out with one another, and how that can be fine or escalate badly. Here are some examples.
                                                  In platonic friendships, we take each other’s feelings into consideration, right? I mean, unless you’re just a terrible friend or something, you do. You try to make your friend laugh. You try to make your friend smile. In exchange, they do the same. This solidifies and strengthens the friendship over time. Doesn’t that count as a gift exchange? I mean, the most default reason we form friendships because it’s mutually beneficial for us to do so, even if that benefit is just a laugh together here and there. But I’m not at all saying that this should cheapen friendship. I’m not even saying that it’s bad. I’m just saying that that’s the way it is. Although, it can be bad sometimes. For example, if your friend were to do something nice for you, and then use that to push you into a position of helping them with something you don’t feel comfortable helping with/something that’s much more difficult than what they did for you, that’s an example of a toxic friendship.
                                                  As you can probably guess, this also applies to romantic relationships. I mean, all of the exchanges in genuinely platonic friendship can apply here as well, but there are some extra ones in romantic relationships. Or at the very least, the platonic ones can be pushed in different directions here. Like, you know, toxic partners trying to guilt you do things you don’t feel comfortable doing. Because they did A for you, so shouldn’t you give them B? Yeah, that’s the gift economy all right, and it’s a super toxic form of it. Again, it’s not always terrible like that though. A healthy relationship-based gift economy is sincere mutual enjoyment of one another’s company.
                                                  Expanding on that, you know nice guys? If not, you may just want to leave here and now. Turn back while you still can, it’s better the way you have it. They embody the worst parts of both platonic and romantic gift economies. (And before anyone says it, yes, I know that anyone of any gender can be a “nice guy.”) They will typically act like a friend, but then start demanding that, rather than receiving mutual friendship in exchange, you’re obligated to date them. And of course, if you don’t see this as a reasonable exchange (as any sane person wouldn’t), they insist that you’ve abused the gift economy. They gave you their gift and received “nothing” in exchange.
                                                  Can I stop here for a moment and talk about a personal experience? I think it might aid the discussion if I can offer a more specific example. I was homeschooled for basically all of my pre-college education. For my last couple years of high school, I took math at a (very religious) co-op in a neighboring town. If you, like most people, were not homeschooled, a co-op is a place where homeschoolers gather to take select classes together on certain days. My math class, for example, only met twice a week, and we’d have daily work to do at home. And, as anyone who knows me at all will tell you, I’m lesbian and femme-aligned nonbinary or a demigirl or whatever. There’s a point here, I promise. I had trouble making friends there, and maybe that’s because the other people there were more “gross, that scientist’s name is pronounced ‘gay,’ ha-ha,” type of students. But as time went on, I did, eventually make a friend. Let’s call him Derek. He was the only other nerd in our tiny class at the time, and it was great to find someone who I could discuss my geeky interests with. Our friendship formed around the exchange of us both wanting to talk about our interests and having one another to discuss it with. Even when it was an interest that we didn’t both share, I’d get to talk about mine for a while, then he’d get to talk about his for a while. The gift exchange was pretty clear-cut, and we seemed to be getting along really well. But then, we hit the second in-class day of my senior year. My first in-class day had been kind of rough, and I was kind of dreading that second one. With my mom assuring me it would be fine, I went back to class. But let’s pause there for a second. Remember how I mentioned that anyone who really knows me knows I’m queer as a three-dollar bill? Well, longish story short, it came up in text-conversation, and I mentioned that I had a girlfriend. Back to that second in-class day, Derek confronted me on the way to my classroom. I don’t want to get into the specifics, because that’s personal, and I don’t feel comfortable talking about it on the internet. Let it suffice to say that I managed to keep the situation calm with nauseating amounts of politeness and praise, but he kept saying how it was unfair to him that I “chose” to be a lesbian, because he wanted to be with me.
                                                  I wanted to share that particular story because it offers specific real-life examples of a seemingly healthy platonic friendship exchange, how that morphed into a more toxic one-sided-romantic relationship, and how one can easily become the other. I encourage anyone reading this to think about how their own relationship-based gift exchanges morph over time.
                                                  All in all, I think that gift economics can help us better understand the way that relationships operate, and the way that we interact with each other. Maybe think over some instances of this from your own life and ask yourself if it was an equivalent exchange. You can use it to evaluate which relationships in your life are healthy or unhealthy, if you look at it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Paper, Part 2: Literature Review

hdstsytsdystsutsyt Literature Review Social platform reddit can tell us a lot about the impacts pandemic. For example, Hossu and Pardee ( 20...