Join us in our public Facebook Group, where we will discuss these issues.

Sunday, March 20, 2022

Addicted to my phone??

 Hey everyone!!!! Sorry it took so long. I was on spring break and attempting to actually take a break from school work. But I was partially successful. Over my break, I was tasked to complete a series of social media challenges. So it was not too hard of homework over the break, but it was something that I had to think about. Overall, I had a good restful spring break and now I am ready to be back and talk with all of you! So for this post, I am going to explain what we talked about in class, what challenges I attempted, and my results from the attempted challenges.

At the start of this unit, we discussed Manoush Zomorodi's and James Williams' theories that people are addicted and obsessed with their phones. Zomorodi believes that when we are bored, we automatically go to our phones, so any free time we have will be spent on our phones. Williams' believes that technology competes to capture our attention.  One of these people blame the individual for becoming obsessed with their phones. The other believes it is the companies fault that we are addicted. Williams' wrote an entire book analyzing his theory. Zomorodi created seven days worth of different technology challenges to help try and understand how often we are actually using technology everyday.

The first challenge that was assigned to me was to track how much I used my phone and which apps were the most popular ones I was using. For this challenge, I had to turn on my Phone's tracking feature, which I had never turned on before this challenge. I tracked my phone usage for twenty-four hours and I was expecting the results I got. A majority of the time I was using my phone, I was using it for technology. My two apps that I spent most of my time on were TikTok and Twitter. The third app that I spent most of my time on is the Apple Music app. I normally have music on in the background whenever I do anything, so I am not surprised that my phone tracker says I spend a lot of time on it. The fifth app that I spent a lot of time on is the Safari internet browser. At the time I was completing some homework, so I spent a lot of time on it. I spent about the same amount of time on apps six and seven. My sixth and seventh apps were Instagram and Pinterest. I used Instagram for entertainment and Pinterest for my job. The final app that I spent the most time on in a twenty-four hour period is a matching puzzle game. When I work on homework, I have the game open on my phone, and every so often when I need a break, I will look down and play for a couple of minutes.

As I have mentioned before, I had to choose three different challenges for three different days. For the first day, I chose to attempt the challenge of not taking any pictures. Going into this challenge, I thought I was going to fail immediately. As the day went on, I realized I was not thinking about taking any pictures. I expect to at least take five different pictures throughout the day, whether it was for school or to keep a memory. Surprisingly, I passed the day one challenge and did not feel the need to take a picture of anything all day.

For my second day challenge, I chose to attempt the observe something else challenge. The goal of this challenge is to reclaim the art of observing. Over the break, I had to run many different errands. There were many errands that I had to drive to San Antonio for. Because I knew that I needed to complete this challenge, I asked my mom to go with me to run the errands so she could drive the car. For this challenge, I decided that instead of being on my phone for the drive, I would not look down at my phone. I would look out the window and notice how much had changed since I last drove to San Antonio. I have also completed this challenge successfully. What I noticed from this challenge is that there are a lot more buildings and restaurants instead of a bunch of fields like the ones I grew up with.

The last challenge I decided to try out is the get bored and think about a problem you are trying to solve challenge. I was also successful with this challenge. This one was pretty easy compared to the other two, in my opinion. I just sat on my bed and thought about how I was going to be able to get all of my school work done by the end of the semester. While sitting on my bed, dissecting my problem, I came up with a couple of different solutions for my problem. I had mixed feelings about this challenge. At first it made me feel really uncomfortable and nervous because I am not used to thinking about how many things I need to get done that far in advance. At the same time, I felt a little better because I knew what I needed to do and when certain things needed to get done.

Overall, I found these challenges fairly easy. I was expecting it to be a little harder because I do think I spend a lot of time on my phone where I do think at times I am addicted to it. I think the hardest challenge for me was the observe something else challenge. These challenges helped me understand how often people are on their phones and how it can feel like an obsession.

That's all that I have for you this time around! I'll see you here next time!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Paper, Part 2: Literature Review

hdstsytsdystsutsyt Literature Review Social platform reddit can tell us a lot about the impacts pandemic. For example, Hossu and Pardee ( 20...