Join us in our public Facebook Group, where we will discuss these issues.

Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Some apps make life easier. But do people depend on them too much?

Hey blog! So all throughout my freshman year in college I have been questioned a lot about rather phones are a helpful asset to society or are they just a big distraction. The professor of my social media class, Dr. Vrooman, has really made me think about rather my phone is a bad habit that needs to stop or is it helping me learn and conquer daily activities. I feel that I am kind of 50/50 when it comes to this topic.


First- I will list reasons why my phone has helped me become a successful person so far in my eighteen years of living.
  1. So just recently, I have discovered this easy job that pays pretty well. The program is called Favor. Now Favor is a delivery service that requires you to first attend a orientation to qualify. At the orientation encourage you to download the app and you have to apply and fill out all your information on the phone (digitly). The job requires you to order peoples food and then go pick it up and run it to the customer. Everything for the job is run through the app on your phone. In this situation I believe phones help us tremendously and could and possibly will change society for the better.
https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Favor/reviews?fjobtitle=Runner

  1. Another good example that comes to mind is a certain app I have been using since I was in middle school. The app is called myHomework. MyHomework is very simple to use. I would say this app is definitely for people who need a lot of reminders to do their homework and study. This app allows you to quickly enter assignments (including: what class the assignment is for, the due date, rather the assignment is homework/reading/studying/etc.). Once you enter the due dates of the assignments the app sends you a lot of notifications everyday reminding you of what is due soon. This app on my iPhone has definitely encouraged me to stay focused on my school work and to have better time management skills.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/myhomework-student-planne/pembccdigcahnckbjcbehhcacplbbomj

  1. If I am being completely honest I would probably not be able to get around/navigate if we did not have the navigational systems we have today. I have absolutely NO navigational sense whatsoever. The navigation apps we have on our phones is truly life-changing. From apps that can give us directions verbally (not even making us look at our phones while driving) to apps that can tell us if Law enforcement officers are nearby and can save us from  paying a ticket or sitting in traffic for a hour or two.


  1. Another really helpful app that I have used for many years is the Randolph Brooks bank app. Through this app I am given easy access to view my savings or credit account. Through this app you are also able to deposit checks into your account, which saves very busy people to making a trip to the bank and having to wait in line for 10-20 minutes.
https://www.dnaappstore.com/dev_rbfcu

  1. Uber, the app that allows you to contact a “personal taxi driver” at a very quick ability. This app has seriously probably saved lives. People that maybe have drank a little too much, instead of trying to drive home and causing an accident, harming themselves and other innocent people; these people are able to call a safe ride to take them home or to a safe location. These apps that give you access to calling a driver to pick you up do not even charge at a very high price.
http://fortune.com/2017/12/09/uber-suspended-sheffield-britain/

There are a lot of other apps that could possibly change lives and make people’s lives a hell of a lot easier. All those apps provide and have provided me throughout my life; these apps are some of the many reason why I believe phones are helpful and make society a stronger and better place to live. I believe that as the technology environment grows the society will grow as a whole and work as one, work as a heartbeat. Technology has also hurt the societies social abilities and also convinced people that hard work is not always necessary and their is always a easy way out. Phones especially have forced us to resort to texting and messaging through social media as our main communication. If you live far from a loved one or trying to get to know someone from across the world the ability to video message people is perfect but the ability to video message has been blown out of proportion nowadays. Many times with club soccer I have traveled to other states sometimes meeting people from other countries. It is pretty neat to trade snapchats and instagrams with them so we are able to stay connected and learn about their daily activities. I think social media has the same impact in our country as most other heavily populated countries. So I believe social media and phones have given us many great abilities and services but some people may use their phone as a way of living and never learn better social skills because of their phones.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Paper, Part 2: Literature Review

hdstsytsdystsutsyt Literature Review Social platform reddit can tell us a lot about the impacts pandemic. For example, Hossu and Pardee ( 20...