Join us in our public Facebook Group, where we will discuss these issues.

Saturday, January 26, 2019

Mead and Social Media


In the sense that social media is completely formed by the content that YOU want to see, it makes for a much more individualized experience that interactions in the real world. You get to choose who you interact with, and what you see. However, in a regular day, like a day of going to class, you'll be forced to see and interact with people that you may not necessarily interact with if you were given the choice. Most importantly, we can choose exactly what from our life that we want to post, whether we want to post all the good things that happen, and brag about our experiences, or if we want to be that one person on social media that uses it as a diary of all the terrible events that we endured that day. Both of these aspects of life, social media, and day-to-day interaction are mostly modified by the expectations of others, the "me" is no longer our actual self, its more of a reflection of what we think others want to see, or what people will react to the most. With all this modified interaction in social media and in real life, this leaves little room for the "I" and limits the personality in one self. In every interaction with different groups of people we change the way we behave for them, ultimately leading to us having no actual individual personality or self. 
After reading a bit from Humphrey's, we talked a lot about diaries, and reviewed the argument that social media was basically just a public version of a diary. Keeping in mind all that I have stated about Mead from above, I believe that social media is a public diary in a sense. On social media, we have people that strictly have accounts to post memes, or things to make people laugh, we have the people that post life experiences good or bad, and then we have people that post past experiences while they are sitting in class wishing they could be anywhere besides where they are now. When I think about my diary writing as a young girl, I remember writing experiences of my day at school, reflecting on past vacations, or fun family weekend outings, and lasting I remember reflecting on something funny that happened in school that day.
 To show my own personal public diary, I'm going to include a screenshot of my personal Instagram account, which I do not post much on. 


Although I'm not the most active 'poster' on social media, there are still some lies hidden in my posts. For one, I am no longer a soccer player at TLU, and that picture is from freshman ear season when I uploaded it, this could be kind of misleading to someone who doesn't already know that. Secondly, all my 'selfies' are pictures of me, with make up on, and my hair done. With going to class and work everyday that isn't an accurate picture of what I look like to my peers day-to-day. My social media, isn't completely full of lies, but there are parts of my true self that I do hide, and I use my social media to portray the person I see myself as still. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Paper, Part 2: Literature Review

hdstsytsdystsutsyt Literature Review Social platform reddit can tell us a lot about the impacts pandemic. For example, Hossu and Pardee ( 20...