Join us in our public Facebook Group, where we will discuss these issues.

Friday, January 24, 2020

The World And Social Media: The Affect It Has On How We See Others And Ourselves

I was reading the article by Novak and while it was quite entertaining and hysterical to read, I felt like he was on to something. The point I got out of his article was that people in today's day and age will use just about anything to gain a like or views on social media. Social media very rarely focuses on connecting with each other and keeping up with what is happening in the lives of others even if we are 1,000 of miles away in a foreign country, but to be that next person that goes "viral" or create a new trend. This can be entertaining to an extent and while Novak may have been exaggerating, I think he was generally pretty serious in terms of where we might be headed as technology makes leaps and bounds in its advancement.

In his blog, he makes the baby seem as more as product being advertised rather than enjoying the fact that the family birthed a new son. I have seen it countless times where people are aiming to be "Tik Tok famous" or they do whatever it takes to become that next YouTube sensation. The other day I was talking with a friend and she told me about how she was teaching younger kids. She mentioned how these kids are always saying and doing things from Tik Tok she doesn't understand so she decided to get the app to keep up with the latest trending videos so she can understand what it is the kids are talking about. It surprised me to hear this because it's come to a point where even the younger generation has phones and are being influenced by this stuff at a young age.  
It is clear to see that parents can play a part in this as well, not just the kids themselves. Parents can even go as far as pushing their kids to become that next YouTube sensation. Novak in a humorous way was trying to show us the obsession society possesses with social media. We go as far as making accounts just for our dogs and our children and at times it can become an all out competition.

Looking at how society is today, social media has now become one of the vocal points of Mead's 'I and me' theory. Social Media (doesn't matter what it might be g.e. Twitter, Instagram, SnapChat, Facebook) tells us how we should look and keeps us up to date with what might still be trending and what is old and slowly being forgotten. The objective of social media is to have the user never satisfied, always trying to get more likes, always trying to get more followers or friends, and consuming most of their time and energy on there. As a result of this, social media ultimately controls what we see and how we might see them thus forming the me aspect of a person.

The I and me I believe go together, very rarely have I not seen it linked in some way. As we discussed in Wednesday's class, we tend to conform to what society and people tell us we need to be or how we should act. As I said earlier, social media has a huge part to play in the I and me theory by Mead, but largely focuses on the I side. The I has to do with how we view ourselves and social media can often be the cause of why we alter our views with how we might see ourselves, especially concerning women. I can't tell you how many times I have heard a woman complain about how they look. Social media sets a standard that in some ways people are unable to achieve, but often times many try. Now I am not totally putting social media down, I understand the real world plays a bigger impact most of the time in terms of how we view the 'me' side of us. Often times in school we conform to being a certain way in order to fit in to a group. 

Saying all of this makes it seems as though the world, parents, and social media are all controlling what we see, how we see it, and therefore makes us who we are and the 'me' overpowers the 'I'. It's almost an endless slope to disprove someone who might believe that and I wouldn't blame them for believing that. We could make the case that we have free will and therefore the I is the ultimate driving point but even if we defy our parents for example, we could claim that we are conforming to that which social media or the world has taught us to behave or act. I think it's ultimately up to how you might view it but I don't necessarily think you could go wrong either way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Paper, Part 2: Literature Review

hdstsytsdystsutsyt Literature Review Social platform reddit can tell us a lot about the impacts pandemic. For example, Hossu and Pardee ( 20...