Join us in our public Facebook Group, where we will discuss these issues.

Saturday, January 25, 2020

Local Cryptid Explores Their Personality and Feels Confused Now



The “I” as opposed to the “Me” is a topic that you’ve maybe read about before. In case you’re too lazy to read the full Wikipedia article, I’ll give you the gist of it. The “I” refers to a personal ego, how you personally view yourself. Next to that, we have the “Me,” which refers to how your environment creates a version of you that’s based on how others perceive you, and how you perceive that. How much of you is genuinely yourself? How many alternate versions of yourself do you present to different people? Is there any version of you that’s really “real?” It’s a lot to think about, I know.
Maybe you and I aren’t so different. Or you know, maybe we are. I’m curious if anyone else out there feels the same way about their “I” and “Me” as I do. So, let me tell you about my own experiences, and you can think about how similar or different you are.
I’m the baby friend. Always have been. Homeschooled, sheltered, sensitive, polite, suuuper gullible, still learning what “assertive” looks like for me at age 20. The first time I experienced being cast in this role was at about age 12. I’d just joined my church’s youth group, which, being homeschooled, meant a bigger and more solid social group than what I was used to. It had a lot of slightly older kids that I really looked up to in it, so I was very excited. They were all very welcoming, but, being the youngest and least experienced member of was the start of my role. I didn’t really think about it or notice it at the time. I just appreciated that people were nice to me, and that I got a part in the overall group.


A few years passed. I became a little bit more conscious of my role and wanted to try and change it. We were moving to a new town and I was going through some stuff, so it seemed like the perfect time. So yeah, I decided that I wanted to be the tough, pseudo-goth, and edgy friend. No one would dare make me the group’s baby! I thought so, anyway. I briefly became a student at a private school that my mum was working at. I definitely came off as a spooky wannabe, but, even when I tried to give other people an alternate “Me” I think I still ended up with a similar role. They’d all gone to school with lots of people for years. I couldn’t really hide that I’d been sheltered. Sure, I wrote edgy short stories, but I also loved cupcakes, cute animals, and wasn’t rebelling in the same ways other kids were. Also, they were rich. That too. This cocktail of seemingly-unhidable traits wound up putting me in a similar social role as before, despite my poorly placed efforts to create a new “Me.”
So, if I’m not in control of my “Me,” does that mean that for some of us, “I” and “Me” are one and the same? We just wear our hearts on our sleeves and that’s that? Maybe. But I think there’s a little bit more at play than that. For example, there are some traits hidden beneath the ones that make me the baby friend. For example, a short temper that I don’t always know how to express due to being overly polite. But I think that everything people see is genuine, too. There’s just a tiny piece that they don’t always see. What’s more, I think that pretty much everyone in my life sees the same “chaotic soft”-aligned (there is a heap of chaos in me, it’s just blended into at least as much soft) picture of me. Those smaller buried facets only really come out in characters I create for Dungeons and Dragons or LARP, and I’m pretty content with that. And even those are a little soft.
 But then, which one came first? Was it the “I” or the “Me?” They’re so interwoven I can’t tell them apart. Perhaps it’s because I, aside from my brief private school career, was always homeschooled. I spent so much time as my mother’s sweet little kid that I never learned to be anything else. That’s not a bad thing! I like the simplicity of not having too many versions of myself. But it was likely my early life that formed that. I was taught good and bad from people I had every reason to trust. By the time I was old enough to question that, I was too strongly cemented as a person, and nothing could change that.
But then again, there’s an elephant in the room that I’ve been ignoring this entire time. To be totally honest with you, random internet people, I’m lesbian and genderqueer. This brings me to another type of “Me”: one formed for safety.
            If the version of myself that other people see is genuine with a few buried feelings, then the version of myself created to keep me safe is a heightened version of that. The only traits that people see if I’m in a situation where I don’t feel safe are “polite” and “smart.” The smartness is important because it’s an excuse for not having a boyfriend yet. “I’m married to my GPA, I don’t have time to date anyone right now,” I’ll say and laugh, feeling anxious on the inside. And it’s not a total lie--I’m a busy college student who needs good grades for my scholarships! But it’s so little of the whole story. I struggle to hide most of myself, but if it’s an unideal place/situation, then I can manage it at the cost of becoming quiet and clearly guarded. It’s like putting a big rock into a creek; only a little bit of the water makes it past.
            So I am, for a time, capable of creating a separate “Me.” It just takes effort to keep up and creates something pretty bland. The fact that this requires effort and cuts out so many traits that are simultaneously “I” and “Me” in the process, however. So, I think it’s fair to say that some people, such as myself, pretty much just display whatever’s there. I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that this is often the result of being sheltered as a child, be it by a consistent environment or wholesome friends or both. You get so used to displaying the same version of yourself every time you interact, as you interact with more and more people, they get shown the same genuine version of you. By then, you don’t know how to unlearn it. I’m not saying that this is the most universal experience, but it’s one, and it may not be uncommon. Everyone grows and evolves, but what you see can basically be what you get sometimes!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Paper, Part 2: Literature Review

hdstsytsdystsutsyt Literature Review Social platform reddit can tell us a lot about the impacts pandemic. For example, Hossu and Pardee ( 20...