Join us in our public Facebook Group, where we will discuss these issues.

Monday, February 11, 2019

"Us" Spreadability

From what we have covered in the last couple of classes, social media obviously holds a very high effect on the content we see throughout the day, and indicates what we find to be important. The content that we do see, spreads throughout Twitter, Instagram, and lastly Facebook. Spreadability and virality are two concepts that we should keep in mind when analyzing posts online.
Often on my social media accounts I see, new movie trailers, news articles, viral videos, and gofundme or posts that attempt to get others to sympathize with them. Spreadability is specific pieces of content that are from public figures, social movments (BLM, #MeToo, and many more) these people and organizations already hold a high status in any community especially on social media. Spreadability is indeed in effect in these situations. As for virality, this is for the people that don’t respect the content within a post, rather just retweet or share based on WHO originally made the post (celebrities mostly come to mind in this case). Virality to me doesn’t seem to be the most rational or logical way of thinking, but I believe is a prominent way of thinking for most social media users.

A couple months ago Jordan Peele released the trailer for a new movie called “Us”, after my liking of his other movie “Get Out”, this trailer really interested me, so I immediately retweeted and direct messaged it to some other people who I knew would find it interesting as well. Last week I received a notification from the actual Twitter account “Us”, which keep in mind is a verified Twitter account. This is something new that hasn’t ever happened to me while using Twitter. This to me is a great example of spreadability on Social Media. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Paper, Part 2: Literature Review

hdstsytsdystsutsyt Literature Review Social platform reddit can tell us a lot about the impacts pandemic. For example, Hossu and Pardee ( 20...